Roast Lamb Rack With Forgotten Vegetables & Dried Fruit Condiment
This recipe of Walters is good for Autumn time using seasonal vegetables like Jeruslam Architchoke and fennel to accompany a roasted rack of lamb. The dried fruit condiment adds a delicate sweetness and chewiness to compliment this fabulous dish.
Ingredients for the lamb
1 lamb rack fat cap on
100ml veal jus
Few tablespoons of duck fat
4 garlic cloves
1 fennel bulb
Greens of the fennel
1 tablespoon of duck fat
1-cup light chicken stock
2-3 Jerusalem artichokes.
Juice of 1 lemon
A few oyster mushrooms
A few button mushrooms
A few soaked sultanas
A few sundried tomatoes
Ingredients for the dried fruit condiment
2 anchovy fillets
10 sultanas, soaked overnight
8 almonds, soaked overnight
2 dried apricots
4 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon of caster sugar
2 slices of white bread cut into small dice
Little sherry vinegar
Little oregano chopped
2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
Few parsley or oregano leafs for garnish
- Take the fat cap of the meat and set aside.
- Remove the meat from the bone.
- Trim all the fat of the meat and set aside (all the trimmings you can use for a lamb stock.
- The fat season with some salt and place it onto a baking tray, which you lined with baking paper.
- Cover with baking paper and place a heavy pot onto the top.
- Place into a 200-degree hot oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the pot and check the color of the fat, if you are happy with it chills it to room temperature.
- In-between zest the orange and juice it.
- Bring the chicken stock orange juice orange zest and veal stock to the boil and cook to a sauce consistency.
- In-between prepare the vegetable garnish.
- Place the garlic unpeeled into a sauce pan, cover with the duck fat and place into the oven with the cooking back fat cook for 45 minutes.
- Peel the chestnuts by tearing the first layer of skin off. Bring some water to the boil and plunge the chestnuts into it and cook for 3-5 minutes remove one by one and peel them quickly.
- Trim and cut the fennel into little wedges.
- Clean and trim the mushrooms.
- Clean peel and trim the artichokes and rub the with the lemon juice.
- Peel the Jerusalem artichokes.
- 20 minutes before you serve the dish you start cooking the vegetable garnish by heating the duck fat at a moderate heat.
- Add the chestnuts and Jerusalem artichokes and cook for approx. five minutes on a low heat.
- Next you add the artichokes that you cut into quarters just before adding.
- Cook for another five minutes and cover the pot with a lid.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat add oregano mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Finish the mixture of by adding the sultanas and sundried tomatoes.
- To cook the lamb you remove some of the duck fat of the lamb and heat it in a heavy pan. Cook the lamb on both sides and rest it for a few minutes it still should be perfectly medium rare.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Method dried fruit condiment
- Cut the apricots into strips
- Peel and quarter the garlic cloves
- Heat the butter in a saucepan (Moderate heat).
- Add the garlic and oregano cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cook for another 2 minutes without burning and remove to a plate.
- Remove the crust of the bread and cut the bread into little croutons. Place into the pan and toast in the remaining butter.
- Chop the almonds roughly.
- Separately mix all the ingredients for the condiment and add the croutons and breadcrumbs last.
- Assure that all the ingredients are ready at the same time.
- Arrange the vegetables nicely onto a plate and garnish with some parsley/oregano leafs.
- Cut the lamb into thick slices and arrange onto the top and glace the meat with syrup like sauce.
- Garnish with the lamb fat (which you reheat for a few seconds in the oven).
- Serve the condiment on the side.