Versatile and Mouth-watering!
You might be baking a pie or any number of delicious deserts. In that case you are going to need to make some perfectly crafted puff pastry to top it all off and add that midas touch.
Pastry is quite simple to make. You can cook it at home, it just takes a little patience with the rolling process and you will get there quite easily.
If you love baking with pastry then check out our upcoming Pastry Masterclass!
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 240g butter
- 1/2 cup of iced water
- Put the flour and salt in a large bowl and rub 40g of butter into the flour with your hands, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the water slowly string with a spoon until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough into a lightly floured surface and gently knead until it is smooth. Then cover with glad wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll out the dough to a 10 x 30cm rectangle.
- Roll the butter between 2 sheets of glad wrap until it is in a 8 x9 cm rectangle shape.
- Lightly flour the bench or surface and place the dough on it. Remove the plastic wrap from the butter and place it in the centre of the dough.
- Fold the short end over the butter and then the opposite end over the top, so that the butter is enclosed within the dough.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin gently roll out the dough to a 10 x 30cm rectangle again. then repeat the folding process and before and cover with glad wrap and place in the fridge for another 30min.
- Remove dough from the fridge and repeat the rolling and folding process 2 more times. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for another 30min and repeat the folding and rolling process 2 more times.
- You are ready to bake with your pastry.
- Remember the oven must be hot so that the pastry puffs before the butter melts.
Use this pastry for a huge variety of savoury or sweet recipes.