“Hachis Parmentier” (Left over pie)
We all love a bit of pie! It is an easy heart warming and nutritious meal. Since it is a left over pie you can of course add other left over’s like other vegetables or sausages. A versatile dish, if you want to make this dish vegetarian replace the meat with tempeh. The roasting jus you can replace with vegetable stock a teaspoon of miso paste and a little soy sauce.
- How long you need to work on it; 30 minutes
- How long it takes from the beginning to the end; 45-50 minutes
- Special equipment; one (or four individual) ovenproof china serving or metal serving bowl or pot to bake and serve the pie in.
Ingredients for 4 serves
- 600gm left over roast from duck, chicken, lamb or pork or *tempeh
- 600ml left over of thin roasting jus (if you do not have that much replace the missing amount with either chicken stock or brown stock)
- 2-tablespoon butter, use palm fruit oil or coconut oil as replacement
- 1 onion peeled
- 1 carrot peeled
- 2 handfuls of button or shitake mushrooms
- Few sprigs of thyme (use marjoram, oregano or rosemary as replacement)
- 1-tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 recipe of warm mashed potatoes (use left over if you have)
- 4-tablespoon of whole grain bread crumbs (optional)
- Cut the meat into very fine cubes.
- Cut the onions and carrot into a simular small size.
- Chop the mushrooms roughly.
- Chop the garlic.
- Pick leafs of the thyme.
- Heat one tablespoon of butter in a heavy pan.
- Add onions, carrots and garlic and roast golden brown.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, meat and add half of the roasting jus.
- Cook under constant stirring until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the remaining liquid and reduce again until you have a thick runny meat sauce.
- In-between make the mashed potatoes and heat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the meat sauce into the mould or moulds (half full).
- Flatten it and carefully top it the warm or hot mashed potatoes, spread it even and flat.
- Top it with the remaining spoon of butter and sprinkle the bread crumbs over it.
- Transfer the mould, or moulds into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
What can you serve with left over pie? Serve it with a nice leaf salad