BEETROOT, PUMPKIN AND ROAST TEMPEH SALAD WITH SESAME HONEY DRESSING
Everyone loves a salad in the summer months especially one that makes a hearty, healthy and filling meal at the same time. Enjoy this colourful and filling recipe salad of Walters perfect for any social gathering! Check out my hands on cooking class Wholesome Salads for everyday here
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Completion Time: 2.5 hours
Makes: 2 main course serves
2 medium sized beetroots
200 grams pumpkin
½ packet of strong seasoned tempeh
1 medium sized pieces of broccoli
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon palm fruit oil, use butter of coconut oil as replacement
2 tablespoons chopped parsley or coriander (optional)
- Place the beetroots into a stockpot cover with water, cover with a lid and bring to boil.
- The beetroots are cooked when you can easily spike them with a knife tip all the way through (takes approx. 1.5 – 2 hours).
- When the beetroots are cooked strain let them cool until you can hold in your hands.
- Peel them and cut them into chunky wedges.
- While the beetroots are cooking peel the pumpkin and cut it into approx. 2 – 3 cm pieces.
- Cut the stems of the broccoli and cut the stems into approx. 1 cm cubes, cut the heads into little rosettes.
- Place pumpkin into a steamer setting and place above boiling water, cover with a lid.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes then add the broccoli and cook for another 1 minutes.
- Transfer onto a large surface so the vegetables can quickly cool down to room temperature.
- Cut the tempeh into approx. 1 – 2 cm cubes.
- Pick thyme leaves and chop finely.
- Heat the palm fruit oil in a pan.
- Add the tempeh and roast on a high heat until golden brown on all sides, halfway through the roasting add the sesame seeds – transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Finely zest the skin of the orange and place into a separate bowl.
- Add honey, oil, vinegar chopped herbs ginger and mix through, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pumpkin, broccoli, spinach, beetroot and parsley to the tempeh.
- Pour the dressing over and mix well through and transfer to a serving plate.
The salad lasts for 2 – 3 days in your fridge; however, the beetroots with their beautiful burgundy color will soon discolor the rest of the salad.
What can you serve with this delicious salad?
I serve this salad on its own as a main course. It It goes well as a side garnish with roast fish, meats and grain patties.
If you like it more Asian omit the orange and replace it with a bit of freshly grated ginger and soy sauce as well as you add some toasted sesame oil and reduce the olive oil content for the amount of sesame oil added.
I love to add sprouted lentils to this salad.
Dedicated to bringing the chef out in you! Walter Trupp